Any person engaged as a legal secretary, legal assistant, law office administrator, stenographer, paralegal, typist or clerk in any law office; any person employed in the courts, trust department of banks or trust companies, or in any public or private institution or office, directly engaged in work of a legal nature, including the public offices of the United States government, state, cities, counties or municipalities is eligible for membership.
Associate membership is available to educators, judges and attorneys. Student memberships are available to those attending an accredited program relating to work of a legal nature as a “full time” student.
Members support and abide by the Code of Professional Responsibility of the American Bar Association, as well as the NALS Code of Ethics.
Opportunities for professional and personal development abound when you join NALS of Oregon, a tri-level organization composed of (national) NALS … the association of legal professionals, (state) NALS of Oregon, and (local) levels. Each offers professional growth through seminars, quality publications and networking.
By joining NALS of Oregon you have the opportunity to attend local and state association meetings, where you will be exposed to some of the top legal experts in your state. The purpose of NALS is to provide continuing legal education for all legal professionals and provide networking opportunities at local, state and national levels.
The value of membership in NALS of Oregon will benefit you professionally and personally. You have the opportunity to attend local chapter meetings, take advantage of discounted member rates for state seminars, ALP/PLS and Professional Paralegal certification, study courses and reference materials, and national conferences. At NALS conferences, outstanding education is presented by excellent speakers from across the country to address issues of national importance, enlightening NALS members with a national perspective.
Additionally, the following are included:
- @Law Magazine from NALS. Members receive this award-winning publication quarterly.
- Affinity Programs – Members enjoy discounts on a variety of goods and services.
- Certification – Accreditation for everyone, whether beginning a new career or enhancing your current one.
- Career Center – A national resource for legal staff and law firms to find the perfect match . . . another benefit offered free to members.
- The NALS Docket – A bi-weekly electronic newsletter sent to all NALS members who provide an email address, which includes timely information and details of NALS activities, with links to educational information and topics of interest to legal support staff.
- NALS Online Learning Center – Education and personal development offered on a variety of subjects with the added bonus of networking across the United States.
- NALS also presents a host of other professional development programs including the Legal Training Course, Online Study Group, and college credits.
Please Email NALS of Oregon Membership Director regarding membership questions.
Membership in a local chapter also includes membership in NALS of Oregon and NALS … the association of legal professionals. Membership Dues are as follows:
- $165 for New Member Dues
- $ 75 for Associate Member (educators, judges, attorneys)
- $ 29 for Student Member (minimum 9 credit hours required)
Please contact NALS of Oregon Membership Director for a breakdown of local, state and national dues.
Applying for NALS Membership
You can apply for NALS membership in several ways:
- Fill in the secure application using a credit card and join immediately OR
- Print out the PDF format application and mail or fax it to NALS (If you don’t already have it, here’s the link to Adobe’s free reader) OR
- Call the NALS Resource Center at 918-582-5188 to find out more and have an application mailed or faxed to you
Please also email a copy of your completed application to: Rachel Barbour, PLS, NALS of Oregon Membership Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of NALS are bound by the objectives of this association and the standards of conduct required of the legal profession. Every member shall:
-Encourage respect for the law and the administration of justice;
-Observe rules governing privileged communications and confidential information;
-Promote and exemplify high standards of loyalty, cooperation and courtesy;
-Perform all duties of the profession with integrity and competence; and
-Pursue a high order of professional attainment.
NALS, Inc.® is dedicated to enhancing the competencies and contributions of members in the legal services profession. It accomplishes its mission and supports the public interest through:
-Continuing legal education and resource materials;
-Networking opportunities at the local, state, regional, and national levels;
-Commitment to a Code of Ethics and professional standards;
-and Professional certification programs and designations.
To learn more about NALS of Oregon... the association for legal professionals, we encourage you to explore our website. If you are interested in becoming a member, visit our Membership page or Email NALS of Oregon Functional Director of Membership.
P.O. Box 983
Portland, Oregon 97297